Welcome to our little corner of the Internet. We are Robert and Thomas and we live in Tulsa, Oklahoma where we attend Holland Hall School. We have been training and the excitement is building. Our expedition is coming up very soon.
This summer, we will climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania to raise money and awareness for a school and orphanage in Tanzania we know called JBFC, Janada Batchelor Foundation for Children. We have classmates who come from Tanzania and through these contacts, we learned about this incredible organization. JBFC’s mission is to alleviate extreme rural poverty through their work with children and families. They have a home for orphaned girls as well as schools, farms and a clinic on the campus where we will be volunteering. Their website is www.jbfc-online.org.
Our goal is to raise $19,431 for JBFC (19,431 is the height in feet of Mount Kilimanjaro). Mount Kilimanjaro is one of the Seven Summits as it is the highest mountain on the continent of Africa. We are going to climb and also meet the students and team at JBFC this summer. We know that we will be forever positively changed by this experience and we hope to have some kind of positive impact on the lives of others through this as well.
We would appreciate your support. Just as all of our small steps will carry us closer to the summit of Kilimanjaro, your donations, no matter the size, will carry us to our closer to our goal of $19,431.
- Jambo means “hello” in Swahili. This the language spoken in much of Tanzania and Eastern Africa.
- We have been training for the climb on local mountains and on the grounds of our school with lots of hiking time.
- The route we are taking up and down the mountain will be about 9 days in length.
- In climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, we will pass through five distinct climate zones known as: Rainforest, Heath, Moorland, Alpine Desert and Arctic.
- Even though oxygen levels are the same, the air at the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro has about 40% of the air pressure as compared to air at sea level. This makes it harder to draw in oxygen as you breathe.
- We will not be showering for at least 9 days in a row this summer as we climb.
- There will be no wi-fi or standard American food on this climb. #detox
- So far as we know, we are the only twin boys our age named Robert and Thomas who have made an attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.
- 100% of our trip costs have been paid for by non-charitable funds. Anything donated to JBFC strictly goes to help that organization and is tax-deductible.